I finished the quilting on Rainbow Insomnia last night. I was going to wait until I put the binding on to show a final photo of the result but I just couldn’t wait any longer!
Here is the quilt before I quilted it:
I love the light coming through the top:
And now that I’m finished here it is after. I’ll take better photos in natural light later – these are just straight out of my studio. Hopefully you can see the detail ok. I took a few closeup shots of the quilting.
Despite the numerous flaws that I can see in this quilt I’m completely and totally in love with it.
The colored parts of the star and the border were quilted using Aurifil clear monofiliment thread. I needed something that was going to completely blend in with all the colors and add texture without detracting from the colors being shown and the monofiliment was the perfect choice. The black background areas were quilted using four different colors of 28 wt. Aurifil thread. I took a real gamble on doing the feathered birds and the scrollwork in the small triangles since I wasn’t sure it would fit the piece but I went with my gut and I’m so happy with the result.
I’ll make up a bunch of binding tonight and hopefully get it sewn on so I can begin sewing the back down by hand this week.