I have a whole bunch of tops that need quilting now, several of them have already been pin basted and are just waiting for me to get my act together.
I haven’t quilted anything in a while so it took a bit to get my machine set back up for straight line and free motion quilting. I broke in my quilt leaf on my new sewing cabinet! I like it a lot I just wish I had more room in my sewing studio to get around the cabinet when everything is folded out. I can’t get behind it at all when it’s all setup so it makes it awkward in my 10 x 11 room.
Jelly Roll RaceBatik
This one is on a deadline so I had to work on getting the quilting done. I did a simple meander on the whole thing. My first thread choice didn’t want to play nice in my machine so I had to use a different color. I used Metro embroidery thread for this top. I rather like the way it turned out. The binding is on now and I just need to attach a label and mail it to my parents. My mom is giving this to my dad for his birthday.
This one has been pin basted for a while I just have pushed it to the side to wait on quilting it.
I used a vintage sheet for the back and I’m trying out a batting I haven’t worked with before by Fairfield. It’s an 80/20 lowloft batting. Not sure I like it yet. I’ll give my final determination when I wash the quilt. I’m used to having a more substantial batting using Warm and Natural which tends to be a bit thicker but maybe this will turn out nice.
I’m using Aurifil 50 wt Mako 2021 for this. I wanted more of the texture to stand out than the thread.
This one is going to need a lot of quilting in the beige areas. I’m not sure what I’m going to do in the colored areas. I don’t want to use a thread that is going to stand out but I do want to quilt a little bit in those areas too. This quilt is going to take a while. It’s not under a deadline though so I can take it on and off the machine as needed.
This was a panel I purchased at Inspire! weekend before last. I put a border on it and pondered over the quilting for a bit. In the end I decided to follow the fabric design.
I added the green swirl fabric as a small border. The panel includes quilt labels at the bottom so I trimmed off that portion before bordering it. I love the selvage of this fabric – they did the colors in pear shapes! I’m using that on my label too I think. It’s too cute to not use. I’m trying so hard to not save selvages since I don’t have the room to save EVERYTHING but fabric designers keep coming up with cute selvage tags.
Also using Aurifil 50 wt for this one. I think I’m going to have to get a green and brown to quilt the rest. My machine didn’t want to use another brand of brown thread last night! Drove me nuts trying to get it to cooperate. I guess it is spoiled with Aurifil now. Thankfully I have a thread card so I can match the color perfectly and get thread from The Quilt Bear (they’re now offering a buy 3 get one free deal on Aurifil!)
I followed a dark beige chevron line for the zigzag. I tried to setup my machine to do this with a walking foot but it didn’t want to play nice so I ended up free motion quilting the whole design. It wasn’t too hard once I got the hang of the sharp edges.
The background is finished. Now to do a little bit on the tree and do the borders. Borders will have a swirl pattern similar to the fabric print.
I still have a few other projects that need quilting when these are finished. I’m going to have to take a little quilting break soon since I need to make some things for a craft show. A friend of mine got a vendor table and asked if I wanted to sell some merchandise. I’m going to embroider some stuff I think. It’s at a dog event so I can make some cute dog things.