I didn’t do much sewing last week so I tried to make up for it yesterday. I needed to do two pincushions for a swap I’m participating in and decided to do a few extra mini-pincushions in case they didn’t like the cactus ones. You can get the cactus design from Urban Threads. First I made a practice one for myself.
This is Sam – he sits in a mini Terra cotta pot. My thread tension wasn’t 100% perfect on any of these, I was using felt but it mostly looks okay. They’re fun to make but a bit time consuming to put together between the stuffing, stitching opening closed and gluing into the pot.
Because I have to ship the pincushions to my swap partners I decided to not do theirs in a pot since it might break. The design came with a felt pot you can stick it in but that means it doesn’t stand up on it’s own. I decided to improvise. I glued a button in between two squares of felt and glued that to the bottom of the brown felt pot the cactus was sewn into. I then glued rocks to weigh it down. Now they stand on their own.
Just in case they didn’t like the cacti I did a few mini owls too.
Last Thursday and Saturday I participated in class previews over at Scrap and Sew – the quilt shop I teach at. The other instructors make it look so easy! I’m getting better at selling my classes as time goes on.
We’re having unseasonably good weather in Florida for this time of year so the corgis are enjoying it while they can. In the next few weeks I may have to break out the baby pool so they can play in the water when it gets really hot.