I wanted to share the progress photos that I took during the making of Corgi Fairytale. It’s kind of weird doing this backwards – normally I’ve already blogged the progress of a quilt but this one came together so quickly I wanted to wait till I was done before blogging it.
My first step was to cut a piece of Kona cotton to size and trace a silhouette of a corgi onto it. Then I pulled my ironing board over to my club chair and grabbed two bins of scraps. I used my glue stick and cut pieces to fit inside the corgi. The outside edges I wanted to fit just right so it would outline the shape well enough (despite this people still glance at it and first think it’s California or Italy).
The right fairy silhouette took a while to find. When I finally found it I traced it onto fusible web and used gray fabric for it.
I have a big roll of Warm and Natural batting. It comes folded in half but I decided to use two layers of batting and not unfold it. I’ll admit – part of it was sheer laziness and the other part was wanting to see what kind of texture I’d get from it.
I practiced a few different designs on a quilt sandwich. I wasn’t thrilled with a few of them (feathers didn’t look like it would fit this quilt and some of the other designs just didn’t work). I tried the McTavishing and wasn’t happy with how it looked on my sample but figured I’d get it working on the real thing, it was close enough.
Quilting the real thing was very different and came together beautifully! I loved the texture I got.
I quilt with a pair of cuticle scissors in my mouth to clip stray threads. Not sure why it always ends up in my mouth but there ya go.
Here I am adjusting the quilt for a new section under the needle
Quilted out to the corner with the fairy first
Here’s where I stopped after quilting for 5-6 hours
I hated stopping but I had to go to work the next day and knew it was another 2+ hours of quilting left to finish it. I was petrified I’d go to finish it and my machine wouldn’t work or I’d have completely lost the muscle memory of the quilting pattern. Thankfully everything worked out!
I was pleased as punch with how it came out and couldn’t wait to get it bound. I took the time to go ahead and label it since I knew it needed one.