The Making of Corgi Fairytale

I wanted to share the progress photos that I took during the making of Corgi Fairytale. It’s kind of weird doing this backwards – normally I’ve already blogged the progress of a quilt but this one came together so quickly I wanted to wait till I was done before blogging it.

My first step was to cut a piece of Kona cotton to size and trace a silhouette of a corgi onto it. Then I pulled my ironing board over to my club chair and grabbed two bins of scraps. I used my glue stick and cut pieces to fit inside the corgi. The outside edges I wanted to fit just right so it would outline the shape well enough (despite this people still glance at it and first think it’s California or Italy).

Corgi ticker tape quilt

The right fairy silhouette took a while to find. When I finally found it I traced it onto fusible web and used gray fabric for it.

Corgi ticker tape quilt

I have a big roll of Warm and Natural batting. It comes folded in half but I decided to use two layers of batting and not unfold it. I’ll admit – part of it was sheer laziness and the other part was wanting to see what kind of texture I’d get from it.

I practiced a few different designs on a quilt sandwich. I wasn’t thrilled with a few of them (feathers didn’t look like it would fit this quilt and some of the other designs just didn’t work). I tried the McTavishing and wasn’t happy with how it looked on my sample but figured I’d get it working on the real thing, it was close enough.

Quilting practice sample

Quilting the real thing was very different and came together beautifully! I loved the texture I got.

Corgi ticker tape quilt

I quilt with a pair of cuticle scissors in my mouth to clip stray threads. Not sure why it always ends up in my mouth but there ya go.

Corgi ticker tape quilt

Here I am adjusting the quilt for a new section under the needle

Corgi ticker tape quilt

Quilted out to the corner with the fairy first

Corgi ticker tape quilt

Corgi ticker tape quilt

Here’s where I stopped after quilting for 5-6 hours

Corgi ticker tape quilt

Corgi ticker tape quilt

I hated stopping but I had to go to work the next day and knew it was another 2+ hours of quilting left to finish it. I was petrified I’d go to finish it and my machine wouldn’t work or I’d have completely lost the muscle memory of the quilting pattern. Thankfully everything worked out!

Corgi fairy tale quilt

I was pleased as punch with how it came out and couldn’t wait to get it bound. I took the time to go ahead and label it since I knew it needed one.

Comments

1. LindaBee says:

Geezum…you quilted this on a regular sewing machine!! Thanks for sharing.

2. Sheila williams says:

That is just the most incredible quilting, and on a domestic machine too, inspiring stuff

3. I think whoever thought it’s CA or Italy just doesn’t know you well enough. I totally knew it’s a corgi the first time you tweeted about it. The fairy on the other hand I wasn’t sure about :))) It is beautiful Katie, you did a great job on it!

4. Michele T says:

You are amazing… Your quilt is spectacular!! Love the design and the quilting!! Thanks for sharing and inspiring 🙂

5. How exactly did you go from glue stick to finished Corgi?

And I love this quilt!

• The pieces were just zigzagged down at the quilting stage. I used it as a way to give each piece some texture and make it puff up a bit.

6. Really really nice design, and beautiful quailing…I think you’re finding your way Katie!

7. Love it! And love the inspiration you provide!

8. Katie – I love your quilt! I have two corgis of my own, so it instantly caught my attention in an Aurifil Facebook post . What is McTavishing and do you have a demo? It looks a bit like swirls and echoes. Beautiful job! I’m impressed with your creativity and energy getting the quilt done so quickly!

9. Debbie Kidd says:

I love the quilt. It is totally unique. I’ve never seen anything like it before. In the pictures it looks like you sit lower as in closer to your machine than I do. Do your shoulders get tired? I try to sit so that my arms when bent at the elbow are level with the machine, but doing it this way, I don’t have the best view of the fabric behind my needle because I’m too high above the machine. I’m probably not making sense, it’s hard to describe.

Anyway, the quilt is beautiful and I love the quilting. I will definitely give it a try.

10. Carolyn says:

Awesome job…. It looks great. Did you start with a tear drop shape and echo?

11. I love this quilt! Your talent is so amazing and inspiring to me. I often listen to podcasts when I can’t comment, then I forget, but I ALWAYS enjoy your podcast, and you are always inspiring me.
    I finally have a machine that uses standard low shank feet, I got a 2005 Kenmore (Janome) at a thrift shop for 15 bucks. I don’t believe it had ever been used.

12. Whoops! I wasn’t done….. Anyway my workhorse has always been a 1989 Viking 150e, which I bought new. It will see through ANYTHING, and it NEVER EVER has tension problems and never jams. The bobbin is thread even comes up automatically. BUT it uses the most obscure and rare of all coming presser feet, no aftermarket and some aren’t available at all. So while this Janome Is a little bit fussier than the Viking, I can throw an embroidery foot on it without a 2nd mortgage.

The point of all of this is I put one on the Janome last night and tried some free motion stitching on some scraps for bookmarks for the very first time. It’s more like scribbling than anything else, but I did it and managed a small amount of control. YAY! Thanks for the inspiration! I’m going to try some more today, and eventually I’ll take singer pictures and post them on my blog, which I have just barely started posting sewing stuff on again.

Have a great holiday weekend! Fran

13. Louise Marie says:

i love the quilt, but that is not why i am here right now. i have loved Corgis since the first time i laid eyes on one. Well, both of my dogs are on Hospice. A sheltie and a tweenie dachshund both have cancer. i am just now beginning to think of what i will do when they are gone. Maybe get a corgi? Do corgis shed much? Are they barkers? Good watch dogs? good with children? Just some things i would like to know. Thank you.

Trackbacks