I’ll break the good news first – my Corgi Fairytale quilt was accepted into the AQS Modern Quilt Challenge and will be judged and displayed at AQS Iowa Quilt Week in Des Moines October 2-5, 2013. I really wasn’t sure if it would be accepted. Now that it has been I’m going over the quilt with a fine tooth comb (a handheld LED Ottlight) and finding little teeny problems. One of them that’s a major issue is bleeding with some of the red scraps. Remember how I said a few podcasts ago that I wanted to share some of my troubleshooting tips? Here’s a bangup mistake that can happen to any quilter.
It’s no secret that I don’t prewash. It’s hard to prewash scraps because they end up turning into a tangled mess if they’re really small and I have tiny scraps that I use in certain projects. This bleeding problem can be avoided if you test your scraps by spraying them with a bit of water and laying them on some white test fabric to see if they bleed before using them in your quilt. You can also wash your quilt with Shout Color Catchers and that usually picks up all the excess dye. If you’re like me and you’re in too big of a hurry to do either of those things you end up with some bleeding.
Hey, it happens to the best of us right? I don’t want to wash this quilt because I like how it looks now. I did however have to spray away the blue marking pen where I marked the boundary of the corgi outline. That caused the bleeding to occur since I had to spray a few times to remove the marks before they completely disappeared. So what’s a quilter to do? I tried something new and I wasn’t sure how it would work out but it was worth a shot. Clorox makes a bleach gel pen that lets you control where the bleach goes so it doesn’t soak all into the fabric. Armed with the bleach pen, tissues and a damp washcloth I went to work.
Important Note:Only use the Gel pen on WHITE fabrics. It is not colorsafe.
This stuff worked beautifully! It didn’t soak into the neighboring fabric because I used a teeny tiny amount and took up the excess immediately with a tissue. I used a damp washcloth to remove extra gel that might be left behind so it doesn’t wear on the fabric. Every spot that had red dye bleeding was fixed with the Clorox gel pen. I’m not so scared to do another quilt with white background fabric since I have this little baby in my arsenal.
It’s probably not the best way to deal with bleeds but it worked for me when I was in a tight spot. All I have left to do is tweak a few things, hand stitch on the sleeve and get it in the mail.
Here are some corgi photos I took earlier this week: