This is a UFO that’s over 2 years old and I decided to pull it out and work on the darn thing so I could get a better feel for Anne. I’ve had The Butterfly Quilt hanging in my closet for a while after I worked on the center panel. (See my photos from 2011 on this project when I first started quilting it). I got nervous overthinking the quilt after I quilted the center section and was seriously worried if I got back to it I’d screw it up. After practicing some feathers on Anne and a scrap sandwich I pulled it out and stuck it under the needle. This quilt has some interesting areas that needed filling in so I practiced putting my feathers in oddly shaped places. The pattern for this quilt is out of one of my favorite applique books Quick and Colorful Applique: 14 Lively New Designs (you can get this book used for less than $5 and I highly recommend it).
Microstippling is a little bit of a challenge but I did manage to get some done. I have a few areas I’ll need to go back into and add some stippling into once I get the inside of the butterfly wings done.
I had to hang it up and take a good look at it at a distance to see how the texture was showing up. It’s not perfect but I kind of like the movement and how it’s not totally symmetrical with the feathers being all different shapes and sizes.
Now I’m working on adding metallic threads to the insides of the wings and I will probably also add some hotfix crystals too. The Antenna will be quilted in last and I still need to fashion a label for it. It feels good to make progress on this UFO! It’s so old.