I’m really making a lot of progress on old projects. As it stands today I have two quilts ready for binding/labeling (my half-square triangle Origins quilt and my Butterfly quilt) and one quilt on my Powerquilter sit-down quilting machine. I finally chipped away at my tumbling blocks quilt and got it completely pieced, basted and ready to quilt in about a weeks time.
I cut up every charm pack I had of this out-of-print fabric and made the quilt as large as I could. I think all together I used something like 7 charm packs.
Piecing the rows together wasn’t difficult once I let go of this notion of planning everything out perfectly and just sewed! I was too worried about making it completely random without matching fabrics touching. I think that is 80% of the reason why this sat in a bin for so long.
I picked out a plain flat sheet at Target for my backing fabric and found some fabric bins for $3 each while I was there. They’ve already organized a few more shelves in my sewing closet. No more falling boxes of stabilizer!
I used my table to baste my first quilt in my new studio! It worked out really well. I love board basting so I’m not crawling around on the floor and this helps me make sure the quilt doesn’t have any tucks or folds when I baste.
The quilt is now on my Powerquilter and I plan to do clamshells on the entire quilt. I did my first row last night and it was a bit challenging. Right now I only have one side clipped up on my dog grooming arm but I may have to use the second one on the other side to help pick the quilt up. My machine started acting up at the end of the first row and I decided to call it a night. I’m using a Handiquilter Versa Ruler as my clamshell template.
I finished quilting the Origins Half-Square triangle quilt and will be stitching the binding on to it this week. This quilt will be donated to Project Linus.
At our last Tampa Modern Quilt Guild meeting I had the fun opportunity to teach paper piecing and chose this fabulous Mercury star block! Everyone really enjoyed making one. I think I’m going to use mine for another pillow cover.
I had some fun on my embroidery machine and made little hedgehog stuffies for one of my friends kids. I have a lot of cuddle fabric I need to use up. Here are the hedgies before I stitched the opening shut. Stuffing them was a little bit of a challenge given their peanut-like shape.
My fabric scissors died a few months ago and I’ve been agonizing over what to replace them with. After asking for a lot of advice I settled on Kai scissors. I’ll be testing them out over the next several weeks and will provide a thorough review when I’ve used them a lot.