All three of these quilts are UFOs, some more than five years of age. During Project Simplify I took stock of all of my UFOs and kept what I wanted to finish. The rest of this year and probably some of next year I want to continue to clean out all of these years-old UFOs so I can really start fresh. It has been raining nearly every afternoon in Florida so I ended up having to take photos indoors. Not my favorite way to photograph quilts but the boyfriend volunteered to hold them one sunny morning so here they are!
This quilt is the final in a triad of quilts I made using the Moda Origins fabric line. While I enjoyed the challenge of working multiple patterns with the same fabric line I don’t think I will do it again. For reference the other two quilts were a Jelly Roll Race and a Precut fabrics class with Kimberly Einmo This final quilt is my Project Linus donation for the year. I really love the fabric design and layout of this quilt and I learned a lot quilting the HST units on my Powerquilter. I hope someone loves this quilt. I’m thankful the Origins saga is over.
I’m really proud of this quilt. I’ve named it Flutter and Sparkle and I believe I started this one back in 2011. Parts of this quilt were quilted on my Vintage Singer 201-2 machine and this is where I felt like I really got the knack of free motion quilted feathers. I became stalled on this when the quilting was finished as someone told me I should stitch antenna on. A year and a half later I realized I liked the idea of doing hot fix crystal antenna a lot better than hand stitching something on. It completely broke my hesitation to finish and I was really pleased with the result. I may list this quilt on Etsy soon.
This final quilt I began also in 2011 I think. I found a bunch of Aviary charms by 3 Sisters on sale at Missouri Star Quilt Co. and ended up locating more to finish the quilt. I used their tumbler template for 5″ squares and pieced this on my Pfaff Creative 2.0. I think I stalled out when I tried deliberately planning where each and every charm fell. I’d pin rows up together so I could see how everything touched before adding more charms to each row. This was incredibly time consuming. I ended up pulling it back out after putting the quilt on my quilt guild UFO challenge list and just sewing and sewing. I stopped trying to control it and just enjoyed myself. I really love this quilt. The fabric is calm and soft. I chose a sheet as a backing fabric and that made the process so simple to move from finished top to fully basted quilt. It’s about the size of a Twin quilt so you can wrap up in it. The corgis love this quilt. It’s already been through the wash at least four times. I named this quilt Avonlea.
Bonus – this is an apron I made for my mom. I bought this fabric panel a long time ago with the intention to make the apron for her as these are some of her favorite colors. We met on my birthday this year to have lunch and I gave it to her. She told me she’s added a D ring to make the neck fastener to her liking.