I’ve been working on a handful of different things all at once lately. Several UFOs are making progress as I pull them out and I’ve finished my swap items for the Instagram Over The Rainbow Swap that I joined in August. For that I decided to try my hand at the ever popular Sew Together Bag and see how I’d fare.
Things I liked about this pattern:
- The zipper compartment interior was pretty easy to do.
- The outer piece is very easy to customize and enables you to make your bag look super different each and every time
- There is no turning things inside out or “birthing” like some bags require because of the way the binding is attached
- It’s a big bag
Things I found challenging about this pattern:
- The side tab instructions made zero sense to me so I kinda winged it. Mine ended up being short but still works. I wish there was a visual provided on how the tabs are done. I may try a different method next time.
- The binding size is a little too wide for my taste I think. I may try 2″ binding next time and see if that leaves a cleaner finish for machine binding. I know some people attach by hand to avoid any bulk and to make the exterior prettier.
- When creating my outer bag piece I didn’t think about what would actually display on the finished bag. A third of the fabric doesn’t show because it’s the bag bottom. Maybe a template showing where to place designs on the outer bag would have been helpful.
I will make another Sew Together bag in the future and I have a stack of Amy Butler fabric that will be perfect for that. Just need to order a new roll of stabilizer because I used every bit of what I had on this.
Pumpkin time! My office at work really gets into decorating. When I say really… I mean they are already decorating for fall right now and I was kind of forced to decorate a pumpkin that was provided to me. These half-pumpkins are available at craft stores and include a hanging slot in the back to put on your wall or door as a display. I wasn’t sure what to do with my pumpkin at first and toyed with a few different ideas before realizing I had a ton of buttons I could use and a hot glue gun. Of course I don’t like to stick to all fall colors and had to make it a pseudo-rainbow. It needs a bow but the main part is finished.
UFO Progress – I’ve been working on three different UFOs. The iSpy quilt has gotten to the stage where all hexagons have the triangles sewn to them. Now I can press and start sewing the rows together. For my gingham flying geese I have all the geese sewn just need to press and figure out how I want to add them to the elephant gingham quilt. I also pulled out an old jelly roll race quilt that was in the stage of being sewn and finished the top. I don’t think I’m going to put a border on it unless I can find the fabric I bought for the border. I know I bought yardage but I might just use that for binding and finish it up.
Watching Narcos and working on the iSpy that never ends on my #221featherweight #narcos #singerfeatherweight #vintagesinger #ldsi #labordaysewing A video posted by Katie V. (@magnoliafly) on
New Quilt! I’ve started work on my La Moyne Star themed quilt for our guild exhibition next Spring. I will be doing all paper pieced star blocks (I’m using the Lone Starburst pattern from Six White Horses – Free on Craftsy) For my background fabrics I did a low volume pull from my stash and this is what I came up with. Right now I’m assembly-line paper piecing the A units.
Low volume fabric pull for a new project #lamoynestar #paperpiecedmodern #lowvolumequilt #lowvolumefabric A photo posted by Katie V. (@magnoliafly) on